Shottendane
Shottendane 
Shottendane, Margate
 

 

Shottendane house was built for Dr Arthur Rowe of Margate c. 1910 and designed by Hugh Thackeray Turner FSA, FRIBA (1853-1937), one of the nation’s most highly regarded architects of the Arts and Crafts country houses built between 1890 and 1910. Today, the house is Grade II listed. Following the death of Dr Rowe in 1926, ‘Shottendane’ was sold at auction and bought by the Railway Convalescent Homes in 1927 as a place of convalescence for railway workers and their families. The building continued to be used as a Railway Convalescent Home some 60 years until it was sold in the late 1980s; part of the garden of ‘Shottendane’ being subsequently developed for housing (Knold Park). ‘Shottendane’ is now used by Shottendane Nursing Home. When the property was taken over by the Railway Convalescent Homes, it was acknowledged that everything inside and out had been finished to the minute detail of a connoisseur: it is understood that most of the original fixtures and fittings still remai


Print Print | Sitemap
© Shottendane Nursing Home